A civil servant shall be allowed leave in accordance with the leave rules applicable to him, provided that leave will depend on the exigencies of service and be granted at the discretion of the competent authority. All service rendered by a civil servant qualifies him to earn leave but shall not be earned during leave.
Revised leave rules, 1981: -
4 days per calendar month
When a civil servant avails full vacation
one day per calendar month
When he is prevented from availing full vacation
4 days per calendar month
When availing himself of partly vacation
One day per calendar month
(No of days no availed/Full vacation) x 30
Calendar Month: - Means a month in which duty period is 16 days or more. If proceeds in one month and returns in another month, one spell of 16 days or more will be taken into account.
Kinds of leave -
(Debatable to Leave Account)
- Leave on full pay at a time: -
- Without medical certificate 120 days.
- With medical certificate 180 days.
- With M.C. in entire service. 365 day
- Leave on half pay: -
* Option to convert leave. on full pay into half pay.
* No limit for conversion of leave on full pay into leave on half pay as long as available.
* Debit to leave account will be one day for two days half pay.
- Leave not due: -
* Up-to maximum 365 days on full pay in entire service provided in first 5 years, it will not exceed 90 days. i
* It shall be granted only when there are reasonable chances of resuming duty.
* To be offset against leave to be earned in future.
* Can be converted into half pay.
* Not admissible to temporary government servant.
* Showing by (-) minus entry in leave account.
- Recreation Leave: -
* 15 days once a year.
* Debit to leave account-l0 days.
* Not admissible in vacation department.
- Leave Ex-Pakistan: -
* Leave on full pay who applies for such leave or who proceeds abroad during leave or takes leave while posted abroad.
* Leave pay shall be payable for the actual period of leave spent abroad subject to a maximum of 120 days at a time.
* Leave pay restricted a maximum of Rs.3000/-P.M.
* Leave salary in Pakistani rupees.
- In Service Death: -
* In case a civil servant dies, a lump sum payment equal to leave pay up-to 180 days out of leave account will be made to his family.
* It is also admissible when declared permanently in-capacitated for further service.
- L.P.R. (Leave preparatory to Retirement)
* Up-to maximum 365 days.
* Subject to availability either on full pay or partly on full pay and partly on half pay or entirely on half pay at his discretion.
* Shall not be combined with any other kind of leave.
- Encashment of L.P.R: -
* Admissible up-to 180 days leave on full pay in lieu of L.P.R. if a civil servant retires on superannuation or voluntary retirement on completion of 30 years qualifying service.
* In case of provincial it is admissible on completion of 25 ~ years qualifying service.
* Drawn monthly or lump sum payment at the time of retirement.
* Senior post allowance will be included in leave salary.
* If leave is taken on M.C. or for Hajj, during L.P.R. the amount will be reduced by an amount equal to the leave pay for half the period of leave taken.
- Overstayal after sanctioned leave: -
* Not entitled to any remuneration for the period of such absence.
* Double the period of such absence will be debited to leave A/C.
* Such double debit will not preclude disciplinary action for willful absence under E& D rules.
- Leave due on abolition of post: -
* Shall be granted without regard to the availability, of a post for the period of leave,
* The grant of leave in such cases, shall so long as he does not attain the age of superannuation, be deemed to have also extended the duration of post and tenure of its incumbent.
Kinds of leave not debatable to leave account
- Extraordinary Leave (leave without pay): -
* Up-to maximum 5 years subject to 10 years continuous service.
* . Up-to 2 years if less than 10 years service.
* 5 years reduced by leave on full pay, or half pay if granted in continuation with extra-ordinary leave.
* Admissible to permanent as well as temporary civil servant.
- Special Leave: -
* Up-to 130 days on full pay to a female servant on production of death certificate of her husband.
* It is commenced from the date of death of husband.
- Maternity leave: -
* Up-to 90 days to a female servant from the date of commencement or 45 days from the date of her confinement which ever is earlier.
* Not more than 3 times.
* In case more than 3 times, the leave will be debited to leave account.
- Disability leave: -
* Up-to a maximum of 720 days when disabled by injury or disease contacted in consequence of duty or official position.
* Up-to 180 days on full pay and remaining on half, pay.
- Study Leave: -
* Up-to a maximum of 2 years on half pay in the entire service to a civil. Servant having five years service to study scientific technical problems.
* Extraordinary leave can be combined but in that case the condition of 2 years will not apply.
- Casual Leave: -
* Up-to maximum 25 days in a calendar year. (20 days for Federal)
* Not treated as absence from duty. * Pay is not intermitted.
* Any balance of casual leave not availed of the lapses.
* Cannot be combined with any other type of leave or joining time.
- Quarantine Leave: -
* Nature of Extra casual leave.
* Admissible up-to a maximum of 21 days, but in exceptional circumstances, up-to 30 days.
* It is granted on account of absence from duty necessitated by order not to attend office in consequence of infectious disease.
* It is not treated as absence from duty and his pay is not intermitted.
Other Features: -
* Leave may be applied for, expressed and sanctioned in term of days instead of year, and months.
* No maximum limit of accumulation of earned leave.
* Not necessary to specify the reason in application.
* One type of leave may be combined with joining time or other leave but LPR cannot be combined with any other kind of leave.
* If recalled to duty from leave compulsorily, a single return fare plus daily allowance is admissible.
* If recalled to duty and the remaining leave is can- celled, the fare for one way journey is admissible.
* If return from leave is optional, no concession is admissible.
General Orders: -
* Leave on M.C. cannot be refused. The sanctioning authority can, however, secure second medical opinion of civil surgeon/Medical Board.
* No permission to accept employment during leave unless permitted.
* If employed during LPR, leave salary will be restricted to the amount of pension entitled on retirement.
* The leave at credit lapses on the date of compulsory retirement or when he quits service.
* Leave is earned during casual leave.
* Leave account of gazetted Government servant is maintained by audit office and the leave account of a non-gazetted Government servant is maintained by Head of office.
* Certificate of fitness will be required to resume duty on return from medical leave.
* No Medical Officer may recommend leave if there is reasonable prospect of a Government servant being fit to resume the duty.
* Unless permitted, a civil servant may not return to duty before the expiry of the leave.
* Leave may not be granted during suspension.
Sanctioning Authority of Leave: -
- The Secretary of Department concerned shall have the powers to grant sanction all kinds of leave, except study leave and disability leave, to civil servants in Grade-17 and above other than the civil servants in all Pakistan Unified Grades or Federal Unified Grades, working in Attached Departments or any other office or organization .
- In other cases the authority competent to sanction leave other than disability leave and study leave is the Appointing Authority.
Dated Peshawar 26th October, 1994
NOT I F I CAT ION:
NO.FD.SO(SR.IV)5-54/80-VOL-III: In exercise of the powers conferred by Sub-Section (l) of Section 26 of the NWFP Civil Servants Act, 1973 (NWFP Act XVIII of 1973), the Governor of the NWFP is pleased to direct that the :following further amendments shall be made in the NWFP Civil Servants Revised leave Rules, 1981, namely :-
In the aforesaid rules after sub rule (2) of rule -8 the following new sub-rule shall be added, namely:-
(3) A civil servant shall be entitled to the leave pay at the revised rate of pay if a general revision
in pay of civil servants takes place or an annual increment occurs during the period of leave of the